The Waking
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.
We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.
Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.
This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.
--Theodore Roethke
--Theodore Roethke
3 comments:
thanks for this roethke, sis. it's exactly what i needed at this moment. funny how life works that way, if you remember to let the poetry in. glad you stopped by the board, happy you liked the poem... i dunno. i feel so much of my work is flawed, and like you, i want sometimes to simply take the one good line and trash the rest. unlike you, i'm too slothful to do it. or at least that's my excuse today. i have such trouble with the knife ...
~l
This is a great poem. "Root Cellar" is my favorite of his pieces, but this one is marvelous. Great sound.
It's one of my favorite poems by anyone, period. So, I'm glad you found what you needed in the poem, in the moment that you needed it, sis.
I've been reading Gluck's Wild Iris and finding what I need in it.
Sam, it's been a while since I've read Roethke. I fell in love with his work a few years ago, bought his collected poems and fell so deeply in love with his voice that I felt like I could've memorized all of his poems.
After you mentioned "Root Cellar" I read it, then stumbled upon "Iris" and wow-oh-wow. That poem knocked me down.
Roethke's "my lizard, my lovely writher" poem is also one of my favorite poems by any poet.
His voice is unlike any other.
Post a Comment