Monday, May 29, 2006

This is a true story

This is a sad story. This just happened. Just minutes ago. Out in my backyard.



Soon Enough, The Keening Will Stop

The blue jay chick, whether flushed from the nest
by starlings or merely lost his balance, one of the edge’s

inherent risks, fell to the grass. I could have saved him.
He fluttered his unfledged wings and hopped through

the weeds while his parents swooped, diving at me.
They shrieked and shrieked as if this tragedy

was all my fault. This is the helpless sound a mother
makes, keening and keening a name when she loses

her child in a crowd. I wanted to run to the baby
and scoop him up. I wanted to cup him in my palm

until I could tuck him in a box. I wanted to make
a mock nest out of twigs and leaves. I wanted to hand-feed

him. Instead, I stood on the patio at dusk and watched
as the infant wander into the shadows of the forest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could not have done better than the fledgling did on its own. this is a common occurence in the spring. at least a cat didn't break his wing or a leg for sport, just to watch him flop around. amid all the tragedies in the world we are helpless, helpless. and when we try to assure ourselves that we have done something good, it is our arrogance telling us so. still, we weep. it is a sign of our humanity. i suppose we should be grateful for that. but i'm not certain.

Julie Carter said...

Ow. I just saw this on cafe cafe and had to comment. This is extremely effective, lovely title.

Carl Bryant said...

Lovely, Laurel.

Much enjoyed.

LKD said...

Jit, thanks for these words. I know that I had to let nature take its course but christ, it's hard sometimes to make that choice.

There was a time when I was hellbent on saving every stray cat and kitten on the planet. They seemed to gravitate toward me or I toward them. I realize now that I can only save one or two along the way, and hopefully, maybe, that's enough.

Julie, hey, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your visit and comments here muchly. I'll have to swing by your blog and say howdy.

Carl, I oughta add you to my list 'o blogs. Nice to see you here, man. Thanks for the words.